Below you will find pricing information for employers or employees involved in an Employment Tribunal claim relating to an Unfair or Wrongful Dismissal.
If you would like a more accurate quotation, please contact our Employment Team, who will give you a quotation based upon your specific circumstances.
Who will advise you?
Rebecca Ellerbeck in our Employment Team is a qualified solicitor with over 13 years post-qualification experience acting for both employers and employees.
Range of costs
Our range for costs for bringing or defending claims for Unfair and Wrongful Dismissal are as follows:
- Simple case - £1,500 to £5,000 plus VAT and disbursements.
- Medium complexity case - £5,000 to £15,000 plus VAT and disbursements.
- High complexity case - £15,000 to £45,000 plus VAT and disbursements.
What do the fees cover?
The fees set out above cover the following stages of the claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation.
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation.
- Preparing a claim or response and advising on the claim or response received from the other party.
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process.
- Preparing and considering any schedule of loss.
- Preparing for, and attending, any Preliminary Hearing.
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents.
- Drafting witness statements.
- Agreeing a list of issues, chronology and/or cast list.
- Preparing and attending a final hearing (including instructions to counsel where necessary) listed for 1-2 days.
The stages above are an indication of the stages which may be required in any unfair or wrongful dismissal claim. If some of the stages are not required, the fee may be less. The fee may also be less in circumstances whereby you handle the claim yourself and obtain our advice on an ad hoc basis.
Variable factors that can make a case more complex
A case may become more complex in the following scenarios:
- Where the claim is listed for 3 days or more.
- Where it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim.
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person.
- Making or defending a costs application.
- Dealing with complex preliminary issues (such as whether a Claimant has a protected characteristic such as a disability, when not agreed by the parties).
- Where there are several witnesses and lots of documentation.
- Where the claim is one of Automatic Unfair Dismissal or where there are allegations of discrimination linked to the dismissal.
There may be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal hearing of up to £1,000 per day (plus VAT) plus travel time and expenses where necessary.
Disbursements are costs payable to third parties, and include counsel’s fees, expert’s fees and travel expenses.
Counsel’s fees vary, depending upon the experience of the advocate, the amount of papers involved and the complexity of the case, but are estimated at an initial fee for attending the first day of the Tribunal hearing (including preparation) of between £500 and £4,000 together with a fee of between £500 and £1,750 for each additional day of the hearing.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of the matter depends on the stage your case is resolved. Generally, if settlement is achieved during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take between 4-8 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a final hearing, your case is likely to take between 20-52 weeks, depending upon the availability of the Tribunal and witnesses.
Please contact our Employment Team to discuss your specific situation.